Yellow Page Advertising
How To Create Profitable Yellow Page Ads
Yellow page advertisments can be a tremendous asset to your business or they can be one of the most expensive mistakes you'll ever make. It's also hard to get the truth from some yellow page advertising because rate structures are complicated; the market research they quote to you will only contain information that the Yellow Pages wants quoted.
Yellow Page Ad Tips
- Cut back in the white pages, it's alphabetical.
- A bold listing is not necessary and you can save @ $200 per year by not using bold. The blocked off areas and superbold are also a waste of money. You can save up to $650 per year by not doing this. Spend money for an extra line verses bold or blocked ads.
- Bigger yellow page advertisements get better placement. If you're using an in column ad you can use an alpha sort for better position like AAAAAA.
- The chance of being selected is in proportion to other sizes on the page ½ page gets selected 2 times as often as ¼ page try to avoid 1/16 or 1/20
- Never buy a yellow page ad that is more than one size larger than the competition.
- Color is a big profit center for advertisers. Red for example is roughly a third higher markup on ads. It also doesn't guarantee a better response. In fact, on a 3/16 of a page ad and larger, red actually decreased response. When there was only one ad in red on the page, studies showed it caught the eye 22% of the time but only caused 13% of the calls.
- Larger black only ads were selected 54% of the time versus smaller ads with red, which were selected only 11% of the time. On ¼ column ads you will get the best use out of red but only if you are the only one on the page using red.
Yellow Page Advertising Mistakes
- NO headline. Every Yellow Page ad should have a headline. See Creating Headlines to learn about writing headlines.
- NO "What's in it for me." Use your yellow page advertisement to sell the reader on calling you.
- NO Compelling reason to take action (offer, guarantee, urgency) Tell the reader why they should call you instead of other Yellow Page advertisers
Get Better Yellow Page Response
- Mention offer and guarantee up front
- Mention free bonus up front
- Sweeten the offer
- Strengthen the guarantee
FREE COPYWRITING TIPS NEWSLETTER
As a special bonus for signing up, I'll give you a free copy of Claude Hopkin's classic, Scientific Advertising. Scientific Advertising is one of the best books ever written about advertising and copywriting. If you are interested in getting better results from your marketing, you must read Scientific Advertising.